Sun, 14 May|
Westbury Arts Centre
Beginners - Sewing Machine 1 day workshop
Time & Location
14 May 2023, 10:15 – 16:00
Westbury Arts Centre, Foxcovert Road, Shenley Wood, Milton Keynes MK5 6AA
About the Event
ABOUT THE WORKSHOP:
This class is for total beginners or for those who’d like to gain confidence using their sewing machine.
This may be a basic sewing course but you will also make 3 really lovely practical items along the way. You will use quality fabrics designed by Steph and carefully selected for each project. The 5-hour day (Steph usually allows half an hour for lunch and a bit of time either end for set up and pack up.
This workshop is about immersing yourself in the joy of creativity, ditching perfectionism and embracing the fun of creating.
Steph has over 35 years of experience with sewing and making things and is keen to share her love of creating. Not only will you come away with three items, but you will also learn how to:
- Thread a sewing machine.
- Wind and insert a bobbin.
- Feed fabric through.
- Sew in a straight line, change direction and reverse stitch.
- Troubleshoot about common errors and how to spot them.
Throughout the day you will make
- a drawstring bag,
- a reversible tote bag
- a hen doorstop.
You’ll learn all the techniques you need to sew independently. Don’t worry if you can’t thread a needle or sew in a straight-line as Steph will show you some nifty hints and tricks to help you along the way. She will guide you through every step in this relaxed, informal, small and fun class.
£90.00 (plus booking fee)
HOW TO BOOK:
Click on Book Your Space
You will make three items during the day, you will make while you learn. Steph provides what you need to make the items in the form of three kits. Please see the list below for the additional items you need to bring.
ALSO, to celebrate Steph’s first class at Westbury, all that attend this event will get a free goodie bag : )
MATERIALS THAT YOU NEED TO BRING:
- Sewing machine (kindly ensure it works. If you don't have a sewing machine, it may be possible to rent one from me but please contact me first to confirm).
- Pencil and pen.
- Hand sewing needles and some pins
- Thread, white will do for most items we make on the day but bring other colours if you have them.
- Sharp scissors, preferably a small pair and a large pair for cutting out fabric.